layout

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Foaming baby bath and hand soap

Another idea I saw on pinterest.com was how to turn baby wash into foaming baby bath! This was by far the easiest thing I have ever made! And chances are you already have the ingredients at home!

I'll admit something. I'm a soap pump hoarder. I normally buy refills and just re-fill my pumps. But sometimes I'll get a new pump and I end up holding onto the old pump. I really need to stop this haha. But there are a few good things that have come out of holding onto these pumps! One there the the foaming baby wash and hand soap made from a bar of soap....

Foaming baby bath
What' you'll need....
  • Empty Foaming Soap Dispenser {Bath & Body Works, Dial, Johnson’s, etc.}
  • Baby Wash
What you do....
  • Clean out the empty foaming soap dispenser
  • Then add 1 inch of Baby Wash to the dispenser
Now....
  • Fill the bottle the rest of the way up with water {leaving a little room at the top}
  • Then, gently turn side to side to mix together {no shaking… that just gets waaaay too bubbly… trust me!} ;)
  • There you have it ! You’re all done… and that was seriously easy!
This will make for an easier bath time for Nick. I have trouble fiddling with opening lids, making sure they're CLOSED haha. I have a very active baby who has discovered he can stand and walk around in the tub o.O
And you can use this with almost anything that is soap! I'm going to try dish soap, but I don't have another foam pump, shocking!

And for the hand soap. Another very simple thing to do! I usually buy a big economy sized Dial hand soap. Re-fill and leave it at that. Those bottles can be pretty expensive, so when I saw how to make my own I was all about it!

What you'll need....
Cheese grater
2 Tablespoons of Liquid Glycerin (found in the band aid section at any drugstore. Got mine at CVS) 1 - 8 oz bar of soap - I used Dial because I like the smell
1 gallon of water - which I use to store the soap as well

What to do....
Step 1:

Grate the entire bar of soap
Step 2:
Fill a pot with 1 gallon of water and add the soap shavings.
Step 3:
Add 2 Tablespoons of liquid glycerin and turn the heat to medium/high and stir until the soap dissolves.
Basically just soapy water
 Step 5:
Leave it alone to cool for at least 10-12 hours. It begins to cloud up after 3-4 hours.
Step 6:
After it has cooled completely around 12 hours later it will harden and look like liquid soap.
Step 7:
If the soap is harder than it should be you can take some beaters and blend it while adding just a little bit of water until the consistency is more like liquid soap. I used my wisk because my mixer is broken.
Step 8:
There you have it....Liquid Soap!!!



I'm thinking I may have done something wrong along the way. Because my soap is really gooey. I'm thinking it's the glycerin to soap ratio. I bet the soap already had a good amount and added caused too much. I'm going to try again with a different soap. But I did use some in my pump and it does work! Before I added it I filled the soap in a tall cup and wisked the crap out of it! It worked! But I'm still convinced I need to try another soap. Maybe another time!

I also tried baby wipes! Which I'm also very please with!!!

What you'll need....
Roll of paper towels (I used bounty, I also head they're the best for this because they're tough!)

1 1/2 tablespoons baby bath
1 tablespoon baby oil
2 cups water

Cut your paper towels in half. Unless you have a canister to hold a whole, tall roll.  
In your canister mix the baby bath, baby oil and water. Give it a good stir....
Now put the towels in the canister cut side down, but I can't see how it matters. But I did it in that way anyhow. 
Stick the lid on and turn the canister upside down. 
After the towels has absorbed the solution (was quickly for me) remove the cardboard tubing. Which was a bit of a challenge! It tore on me so I basically fished it out haha. 



There you have it! Baby wipes! Nice clean smelling ones too! 
I was concerned about the fact that it contains soap, so would it cause Nick's booty to be sticky? And it does not! I tested it on on my hands and had pleasant smelling hands as well as very soft hands. I also realized that baby wash isn't actually soap, it's cleanser which is pretty much all water. Thus making it tear-free. My only complaint is that my wipes seem to be extremely wet! I left the lid off for a couple days so they'll dry out a bit. Could probably fiddle around with the ingredients to make the perfect consistency. I'll give it a try and see what happens. 

I love that I can make all these things, that we use on a semi daily basis. I feel like a regular ole Martha Stewart haha! 

Anyhow, if you try these things please let me know how they worked out for you!








No comments:

Post a Comment